Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Soapy Clean

I finally got through rendering all that tallow, on Saturday I think.  Boy what a task that was!  I got a lot of tallow – haven’t measured it yet, but somehow I don’t think it was as much as I could have gotten.  I’m still a novice at this and it’s a lot of trial and error.  At least this time it wasn’t nearly as smelly as the last time, whew!  That wet method sure did make a huge difference in that regard. 

Now that the temps have nose-dived into the sub-zero range, I’m not too worried about the bones still in our little storage locker, so I’m making some soap.  As soon as the weather turns warmer, I’ll get back to making that bone broth.  Also not the most fragrant proposition. 

This is from a batch of coconut oil soap I just made for my husband.  He likes that recipe the best – just straight coconut oil. I used a synthetic fragrance oil to scent these, as he’s not a huge fan of the essential oil scents that I have on hand.  So these smell like regular old Ivory bars, but as long as he likes it, I’m happy. 

0119162127a0119162127b

I made a new recipe for shampoo bars, and those are setting up right now and will be unmolded tomorrow or the next day, and I also want to make another batch of tallow bars.  I can’t believe how much I love the tallow bars.  They make my skin feel so nice! 

I’m debating about using coloring agents in my soap.  I’d like something a little jazzier than plain old ordinary beige, but at the same time, pigments aren’t cheap and they don’t really add anything, you know?  So, I don’t know.  Maybe I’ll try one of the recipes I have for using things like crushed spices or something – paprika is supposed to make a pretty bar.  We’ll see. 

In other news, I was going through the kids’ closet today.  How in the world did my son end up with 6 blue and 5 red shirts?!  Time for some purging!

Cross posts on my daily blog


Filed under: Soap Tagged: Soap, Soaping

No comments:

Post a Comment